Turning on the Green Light

Hey Green Galaxy Guys and Gals,

Welcome to the first installment of our blog.

There have been many things on our minds over the past several months but we seem to have had very little time to express them. 2010 has been a very busy year for us so far. Nonetheless, it is our goal to interact with you a little more regularly about all the exciting things happening within the company. We hope to hear from YOU as well so feel free to connect with us and share your thoughts, questions and any random green fact you’d like to share … either here, or on our facebook fan page .

We have had an exciting development this month on the ink side of our business. As you may know, we are very committed to providing and using environmentally safe screen printing inks. This is why we print over 90% of the garments that come through our shop with our world class water based ink. The remaining 10% of the garments we print have been printed with the heavy, plastic (plastisol) inks used in mainstream screen printing. However, at Green Galaxy, even when forced to use the plastic inks we have tried to ensure that we could find the least offensive products available on the market. We are always looking for new ways to improve. So, we’ve been using Phthalate-free plastisol inks on jobs when water based ink could not be used.

So, what is the exciting news? Well, here it is … we have recently discovered a plastisol ink that is both phthalate-free and PVC-free. Ta-da!!!! Ok, so perhaps this news doesn’t exactly send tingles up and down your spine like it does for us; but hopefully it makes you glad to know that there really are companies that truly care about their environmental foot print.

This new development means we’ve made yet another step in the right direction and we all should be excited about that. Nothing changes unless WE change, right? So every small step that each of us makes in the right direction means we’re that much closer to a better reality. Having this new ink means that when we can’t use our water based ink, we can choose an equally safe plastisol ink guilt-free; and to us, that’s a big deal. Providing quality product to our customers will no longer cause us to sacrifice our environmental integrity.

Here at Green Galaxy we believe that green is a lifestyle choice. We are not perfect but we do try to grow every day and hopefully we inspire others to follow suit. Let’s face it, we know it takes time to transition away from old habits, and sometimes the whole world seems to fight against us. However, it helps to remember that every little bit counts. It is our collective “little bits” that cause change.

The other day someone on our facebook friend’s list posted a video that we think you might find interesting. We posted it on our fan-page, but for those of you who didn’t see it, here’s the link … http://www.storyofstuff.org/ (click on the bottled water tab). We’d love to hear your thoughts so please feel free to comment.

That’s it for this week.
Until our next installment … live consciously!!
Green Galaxy Girl

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *